One of the most common questions we get from our customers during implementation projects or from support inquiries is “how do I improve our search rankings?” We encourage you to attend our customer webinars and to download our NitroSell Best Practices Guide which covers such content. In addition, you may find these Yahoo!, Bing and Google webmaster guidelines to be helpful from The Beginner’s Guide to SEO by SEOMOZ.
Yahoo! Webmaster Guidelines
Many factors influence whether a particular web site appears in Web Search results and where it falls in the ranking. These factors can include:
- The number of other sites linking to it
- The content of the pages
- The updates made to indicies
- The testing of new product versions
- The discovery of additional sites
- Changes to the search algorithm – and other factors
Bing Webmaster Guidelines
Bing engineers at Microsoft recommend the following to get better rankings in their search engine:
- In the visible page text, include words users might choose as search query terms to find the information on your site.
- Limit all pages to a reasonable size. We recommend one topic per page. An HTML page with no pictures should be under 150 KB.
- Make sure that each page is accessible by at least one static text link
- Don’t put the text that you want indexed inside images. For example, if you want your company name or address to be indexed, make sure it is not displayed inside a company logo.
Google Webmaster Guidelines
Googlers recommend the following to get better rankings in their search engine:
- Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines. Don’t deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, which is commonly referred to as cloaking.
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content. Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate.
- Keep the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100).
If you have SEO related questions, please open a ticket and select ticket category “SEO/Search Engines”.