Promotions are a valuable tool to drive shoppers to your webstore and increase conversions. We’ve recently released the following enhancements to make the webstore’s promo codes more flexible and useful to your business:
- The ability to set whether a discount applies to items marked not discountable at the POS;
- Max uses per customer — either no limit or between 1 and 255 uses per customer, per promo code;
- A rules editor enabling you to add rules to either apply or not apply the promo code to items, based on these fields:
- Lookup code;
- SubDescription 1, 2, or 3;
- Custom text 1, 2, or 3.
To create or modify promo codes, login to your WebStore Manager and choose the Promotions link from the menu on the left. You will be presented with a list of existing codes, along with details on their usage and some new fields including the number of rules assigned (if any):
Clicking a promo code in the listing displays the Edit Promotion popup:
From the Details tab, you can change basic information such as the Promotion Name, which will be displayed alongside any items the promo applies to in the basket; the Promotion Code — the text shoppers enter at checkout to apply the promo; and the Discount Type — either an Amount Off or a Percentage Off the web order.
The next step of creating a promo code is to set the Restrictions:
- Minimum Order Value: the lowest order total to which the promotion can apply. For instance, if you specify $100, the promo will only apply if the order total equals or exceeds that value.
- Maximum Usage Count: the number of times the code can be used globally, that is, among all of your shoppers.
- Not Discountable Items: RMS enables you to specify whether an item is discountable at the POS. This setting governs whether the promo can override that setting.
- Max Uses Per Customer: the limit on uses of the discount per customer, from no limit up to 255 uses. This is ideal, for example, where you’d like to offer new customers a one-time use discount, or where you’d simply prefer shoppers not overuse a promotion.
- Expiration Date: the date at which the promo code can no longer be applied. For instance, if you wanted to run a holiday season promotion, you might have it expire on December 25th.
Promotion Rules essentially enable you to specify more fine-grained restrictions. The tab lists rules that either cause the promo to apply or not apply to items in the shopping cart.
Clicking Add Rule… brings up the WSM rule configurator, which has been adapted to accommodate promo codes:
- Conditions are the requirements that must be met for the promo to apply to an item. If you specify multiple conditions for a rule, all of them must be met for the promo to apply to an item.
- Each condition is composed of:
- The Condition Source, that is, the field whose value is to be checked.
- The Condition Operator, which defines how it should be compared, typically Is Equal To or Is Not Equal To for fields like Item Department and Item Category, as well as other operators, like Contains, for free text fields such Sub Description 1, 2 and 3, and the Custom Text fields.
- The action determines whether the promo applies to an item based on the conditions — the setting can either be Apply the promotion or Do not apply the promotion
- Clicking Save Rule adds the rule to the promotion; Cancel discards your changes; and Delete can be used to remove existing rules.
We hope you’re as excited as us about this new feature! As always, we welcome your comments.