If you are an existing PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK) merchant, you may have received the following communication from PayPal:
“We’ve noticed that you haven’t yet set up 3-D Secure on your website. As previously communicated, please be aware that as of 21 January 2010, you will not be able to process Maestro payments through UK Website Payments Pro – Direct Credit Card Payments without 3-D Secure technology. This is due to MasterCard Compliance rules.
It is important that before this date you remove the Maestro option as a card type on your Card deposit page. This will ensure you keep declines to a minimum, maintain conversion and provide a good experience for your customers.
If you want to continue processing Maestro transactions after 21 January 2010, you must implement 3-D Secure. PayPal does not charge for the use of 3-D Secure and nor does Cardinal Commerce, our chosen 3-D Secure technology provider”.
PayPal have teamed up with Cardinal Commerce to provide the 3D Secure technology that will permit you to handle credit cards operating under Visa Verified By Visa, Mastercard SecureCode, and, in the UK, Maestro MSC technologies. PayPal’s About 3D Secure webpage answers the following questions:
- Who does this affect?
- What do I have to do?
- How much will 3-D Secure cost?
- When do I have to do this by?
- What happens if I don’t implement 3-D Secure?
NitroSell eCommerce currently supports two versions of PayPal Website Payments Pro, which have been updated to handle these latest 3D Secure requirements:
- PayPal Website Payments Pro (PayFlow Edition UK);
- PayPal Website Payments Pro (US, Canada, UK).
For technical details on our support for these two versions, please visit NitroSell KB Article #488: Setting Up PayPal Website Payments Pro with 3D Secure
* Please note that the above 3D Secure updates are currently available only to webstores running in the Beta and Early Adopters’ versions of NitroSell eCommerce. Feel free to open a ticket on the Partner Portal to discuss your PayPal 3D Secure options with a member of our services team.